Registration is up! (Link is below, after all my blabbering.) A few comments:
1. We switched to Ultrasignup this year. We'll see how that goes. I expect no problems.
2. This year, shirts are optional. It's possible that we'll use the same design as last year, but just change color and date, because I really like the design. Also, we will have women's specific sizes this year! Which means a change in brand. Last year's shirt looks like this. (You may need to enable graphics to see this.)
4. There are some optional fields to fill out (occupation, etc) when you register. These are just for fun. Although the "medical considerations" one would be useful. (That will not be displayed to anyone.)
5. If you were a VOLUNTEER last year and want to RACE this year, reply to me and I'll give you a $20 discount code!
6. If you were one of our four OVERALL CHAMPIONS last year, you can race this year for free! I'm not 100% sure of the process though so maybe wait just a bit until I figure out how that works. (But feel free to email me to let me know you want to enter.) These four would be Shawn Loy, Mark Thompson, Sarah Gall, and Austin Williamson. Congrats!
7. If you were one of the 36 DIVISION TOP THREE finishers last year, you get $10 off this year! Use the code "winner12" at checkout. By the way, do not try to use this code if you did not qualify. I see everyone who uses it. If you are unsure if you qualify, check the results from last year. (And email me if you are still unsure.) If you see a 1, 2, or 3 in the place category, you get the discount!
8. I think Friday packet pickup will be at We Run in North Liberty. (Yes there will be race morning packet pickup too.) More about that later. We have used Sleep Inn in North Liberty as our race hotel in the past so we'll see if we do again this year.
9. Speaking of volunteers for this year, I could use the following (and remember, this gets you a $20 discount for the following year, plus a free cotton shirt, and access to the same food the runners get).
A. Three folks to handle timing from 8:00am to about 3:00pm. (If you want to do it for PART of this time, let me know too.)
B. Four folks to handle parking from about 6:15am to 8:00am. One would just be at the entrance to the park with a flashlight helping cars find the place. (Theoretically you could also do another chore after, if you really love to volunteer!)
C. We have at least one aid station left that needs to be attended to. Preferably you might be able to round up a group of 3-4 people to take it for the full day, which is from roughly 7:30am to 3pm (adjusted depending upon which aid station and when last runner goes through). It's a long day out in the elements. But fun! Of course we provide the food/liquids. (If you can round up a large enough group so that you split the duties during the day, that's great too!)
D. We could really use a few people who would be on call during the day to retrieve runners who have stopped at an aid station and need a ride back.
E. For those who know the spillway, I would like to plant one or two people there just to oversee that spot. Although if it's bone dry this may not be necessary.
F. Might be more we need...this is what comes to mind now. If you just want to help but don't care exactly how, respond and give me hours you'd like to help.
So, go sign up! And remember this: for the 50K, you must begin lap two by NOON (4 hours). Any later than that and your time will not count and you are not supported. Also, you cannot change races after the gun goes off.
Thanks, and hope to see you at the race. Please respond with any questions and if I feel I really missed something I'll follow up to the group. Remember to check our FB page as well and the race web site (look on the right there for information).
Well the storm is just starting to hit here in Iowa, so stay warm. And if you do not hear from me before then, have a GREAT CHRISTMAS, or enjoy your holidays however you celebrate them.
Your Friendly RD,