Thursday, October 18, 2012

2013 Hawkeye 50K & 25K First Hello

This email was sent out Oct 14, 2013 to anyone on the Hawkeye 50K/25K list. Look on the right side of the page to sign up for the mailing list, and all kinds of information about the race.

Greetings Runners!


Well hello everyone! It's time to think about the 3rd Hawkeye 50K & 25K, in 2013.

Yesterday was the inaugural running of a new 50K/25K up in Cedar Falls, the Running Village Fall 50K. Interestingly it was put on by the winner of our first Hawkeye 50K, Scott Gall. Rumor has it that it was a success, so congratulations! I would liked to have run it myself, but I'm nursing a calf injury. I know, many of you can relate to injuries. SO frustrating! But the good news is that ultrarunning is expanding in Iowa. I think we have five real ultras now? We also have the Equalizer in Des Moines coming soon, and the Cornbelt 24 Hour race in Eldridge in May. And next month will be the third Wildcat 50K. I highly recommend that one. I've done it and it's fun, and free (donation suggested)!

So yesterday's race got me thinking that it might be time to begin to communicate with you all about our next running of the Hawkeye 50K & 25K. First and foremost, the date: Right now it's tentatively scheduled for Saturday March 2, 2013. I know I keep moving it around. I apologize for that. It so happens I'll be busy every other weekend in March except that one. I don't see a reason now why I'll deviate from that date.

I do not expect big changes to the next race as far as the course goes or anything major. Of course I hope to do a better job. Amazingly, after two runnings and two weather disasters, I've still yet to get one serious complaint from any runner. You all amaze me. You're tough! And also kind and understanding. But from my point of view there are a lot of little things I want to improve, so let's hope the third time is the charm. I won't bore you with these little (but important!) changes, but hope they make things run more smoothly next time.

One possible semi-major change is that I'm flirting with the idea of making the shirts optional. Not everyone wants a shirt, I imagine. Plus I may use the same design as last year (but a new color), which is even more reason some may not need a new one, so why force you to buy it? This race is for you, not me or the shirt makers! :-D If I do this, I'll probably reduce the cost of the race by about $10, and then charge $10 for anyone who wants a shirt. Makes sense, right?

Here is something important. Do you all know why we do this race? (Well, besides the fact it's fun.) It's to raise awareness about Lupus and to raise some money to find cures and to help those with the disease. After the first race I donated $1000. After last year's race, I donated $500 to the Lupus Foundation of America! Also I donated at a time when there was a matching-donation contest going on, so my donation was matched with $1000 by others! Thank you ALL for chipping in on that! (One reason I donated less this time to leave myself a buffer to work with for the next race, but that means I may have more to donate after this one.)

You may be wondering about registration. It is not up yet but maybe about early December-ish it might be? So keep checking at Running Wall for it. Also keep in mind that the limit is 150 total racers, and we did hit that last year but don't freak out either. It won't be filling up in a few days or anything like that. And I will send out another email when registration goes live. Something to know: Our four winners from last year get FREE entry this year. Other podium finishers (1st through 3rd in our age groups) get $15 off. Finally, anyone who volunteered last year gets $20 off. And this goes for next year as well, so if you or anyone you know wants to volunteer, please have them email me at chemsmith1@gmail.com. That's also the place to ask questions.

Well that's all for now. Happy Trails and Keep Running!

Your Friendly RD,

Tim

No comments: